List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area"
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-01-14 14:10:54

> what can be translated to a wish for us to be dependent on WINAPI (wine?) and
> to add a few millions of lines of dirty code for VBA API support.

I agree, I really don't think there is much point in trying to achieve
perfect compatibility with Excel.  The OO.org hackers have put a lot
of effort into this, more than we probably could.  A better (more
stable) Excel import / export filter that can handle most of the
features KSpread supports would definitely be welcome though.

Having said that, I think that when we market KSpread, we should be
clear than OpenOffice is a better alternative for people who need to
work with complex Excel spreadsheets.

When it comes to macros, there are definitely advantages to having
them, but VBA support would be overkill.