List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KWord font kerning & Qt 4
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-07 2:18:15

I wondered if there are any updates on the status of KWord's
well-known font-kerning problems and whether or not Qt 4 does deliver
the needed changes to fix these issues.

As a newbie KOffice dev, it is very frustrating for me that I cannot
use KWord for day-to-day word processing because of these problems.
The main issue is that I always work with the zoom level set to "Fit
to Width", and KWord's text rendering is visually uncomfortable,
particularly with some common fonts like Times New Roman (which I am
required to use in essays and other reports).  That is, at 100% zoom
level, the text renders correctly but is too small.  The errors are
only apparent when zoomed in (something like 150% on my display).

I have searched the mailing list archives but the technical details of
the problem are somewhat unclear.  I also wondered what other Qt
applications (eg. Scribus) do to avoid this problem?