List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: modifier keys.
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2005-11-30 15:28:38

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 15:07, Thomas Zander wrote:

> I was thinking the following to be the most usefull approach;
> first, auto guides is the same thing as guides. The disabling of it goes
> via 1 entry in the view menu, which switches both off/on.
>
> * Enable guides and auto-guides by default.  The guides are not going to
> get in anyones way unless someone actually creates them.
> * if I press shift and grid is off then from then on moving will only
> listen to the grid.
> * If you press shift and grid is on then you can move the object
> completely free without anything 'bothering' it.
>

> The only case that is not covered is when the user has snap-to-grid off
> and moves / scales an object but for this drag he wants to use guides as
> well as grid. The user can't simply press shift for that, he has to alter
> his view menu and turn on grid. I find that a minor problem since I'm
> thinking this is the least used usecase that we are now not covering.

Here a list how snapping to grid/guides work with using shift. 0 means of 1
means on

     input          snap to
shift grid guide = grid guide
0     0    0     = 0    0
0     0    1     = 0    1
0     1    0     = 1    0
0     1    1     = 1    1
1     0    0     = 1    0
1     0    1     = 0    0
1     1    0     = 0    0
1     1    1     = 0    0

This is the way it is implemented in kpresenter at the moment. The usage of
grid is only determint by the "Snap to Grid" menu entry. So you can also snap
to the grid even when it is not shown.

> Scaling:
> Shift keeps aspect ratio
> Alt Scales only horizontally or vertically
> Control scales all objects from center of all selected objects

I would propose the following:
Scaling:
Shift does as described above
Alt keeps aspect ratio
Control scales selected object from the centre.

At the moment it is only possible to resize one object at the moment and I
don't know how mass resizing should work :-).
I think we can use Alt for keep aspect ratio as if you want to scale only to
one direction you can use the middle rect which only allow
horizontal/vertical scaling.

Have a nice day,

Thorsten