List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: modifier keys.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-30 14:07:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 14:13, Casper Boemann wrote:
> > No, since guides are useless unless they are seen and so I feel that
> > pressing shift should never enable them.  Note that snap-to-guides
> > are always enabled when they are showing for about the same reason.
>
> Hmm, but you have to think autoguides into the equation.
>
> Autoguides are often much more useful than grid and not being able to
> enable them on demand is a problem inho. Or should they always be on
> and shift being the only way to disable. I could live with that, BUT
> what if grid was off. Then you would disable autoguides and enable grid
> - no way to know what the user intended

I was thinking the following to be the most usefull approach;
first, auto guides is the same thing as guides. The disabling of it goes
via 1 entry in the view menu, which switches both off/on.

* Enable guides and auto-guides by default.  The guides are not going to
get in anyones way unless someone actually creates them.
* if I press shift and grid is off then from then on moving will only
listen to the grid.
* If you press shift and grid is on then you can move the object
completely free without anything 'bothering' it.

The only case that is not covered is when the user has snap-to-grid off
and moves / scales an object but for this drag he wants to use guides as
well as grid. The user can't simply press shift for that, he has to alter
his view menu and turn on grid. I find that a minor problem since I'm
thinking this is the least used usecase that we are now not covering.

--
Thomas Zander