List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    modifier keys.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-30 11:53:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Going through KWord and KPresenter I noted some inconsistencies between
usage of modifier keys.  Adding the requests in bugs 112310 and 112306 as
well as requests on IRC about this, I thought I'd analyze this stuff a
bit more.

If you drag an object around pressing shift already toggles the
snap-to-grid for that one move. KWord does this, KPresenter only toggles
it of, not on if you have not enabled it before in the view menu.  Lets
make sure all apps do it.

Since the last time I tried it KWin has become smarter in using alt (or
meta) to move windows from anywhere in the win.  Now it only goes to
move-window mode if you press the alt key before you push down the
mousebutton.  So adding the alt key afterwards is something we can use in
our interaction model with the large exception that nothing special
should happen since its not an easy to reach function.

Using the control key has some issues as well, currently; holding down
control for a drag in KWord currently does a select before it starts a
drag and can have some silly effects.
This is simple to solved by using mouse-release instead of mouse-down for
selecting, though.

In effect I think that we are having a pretty loosely defined interaction
model for moving/sizing right now.  I want to suggest the following to be
used for all KOffice apps.  There are 4 different actions you can do with
the mouse that are important here. Dragging objects, scaling objects,
inserting objects and simply clicking to interact with objects.
Note that 'objects' are layers or selections in krita, and frames in kword
and kpresenter.  Kivio and Karbon use object naturally.
Note also that keys can be combined. Pressing alt+shift combines both
options.

Dragging:
Shift toggles snap to grid and disables snap to guides
Alt does nothing
Control keeps X or Y position unchanged (see karbon)

Scaling:
Shift keeps aspect ratio
Alt Scales only horizontally or vertically
Control scales all objects from center of all selected objects

Insert:
Shift toggles snap to grid and disables snap to guides
Alt temporarily switches to 'move' (see krita)
Control temporarily switches the scaling-center to the center of object
instead of top-left (see krita)

Click:
Shift selects 'underlying' object deselecting the previous selected
objects and making sure only one is selected (see kword)
Alt does nothing
Control allows multi select

Anyone got suggestions/questions or flames about this list?
Otherwise I'd like to see this as an interaction guideline for KOffice
registered somewhere and any application that deviates from it without
good reason is considered to be buggy.

Thanks for reading :)
--
Thomas Zander