List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Implementing next generation KSpread Format Storage design
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-28 12:07:13

> I won't start on it today but plan to dedicate (most of) tomorrow to doing
> this. I cannot yet gurantee that I have time for it (nor to finish it), but
> well, that's what I've planning at least. I hope to get as far as possible.
> If you have any more thoughts on this design, please reply soon.

For 1.5 this is too close. IMHO it's better to think about it after
1.5 release, but of course you are free to give it a try now.

> 1) I think we will have rather large grouping of information, that is data
> format, including font, position, ... is one piece, (background) coloring and
> border is another and so on. So I guess we end up with less than 5 layers of
> format pieces.

OK, you can have only 5 type of format pieces. But layering is done
wrt to user actions. Excluding optimizations, if the user applies 10
different font colors to a range, then there are already 10 layers in
that range.

> 2) Row format has a higher priority as column format

Actually I don't completely understand this.
In fact, there is no different between row or column format with
normal range format, they only differs in the range which the format
is applied. I think the recent format set by the user is the prevailed
one.

> 3) traversing: I'm not yet sure whether to use a quad tree, but I "guess" not.

This quad tree thing can be just skipped at first, as it should be
used only to speed-up the look-up (i.e. given a range, which formats
*may* apply to the range). We can think about optimization later on.

--
Ariya Hidayat, http://www.google.com/search?q=ariya+hidayat&btnI