List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: document -> workbook
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-16 22:18:19

Hi Thomas,

Taking a step back and looking at this from a high level, usability
needs to be taken into consideration when looking at the terminology
and language used by KOffice apps, just as much as the design of
dialogs or the choice of menu items.

As Martin mentioned earlier, we use the term "Print" rather than
"Produce Hardcopy" because it is more immediately obvious to users
what that means, even though the dictionary definition of Hardcopy
(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Hardcopy) is much closer
than Print (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Print).

As a native English speaker, I want to reiterate the point I made
earlier which has not yet received a response - I was confused by the
term "Document" in relation to the term "Spreadsheet" in KSpread, and
I am very sure that I am not the only one, as Martin commented.  I
feel that by using the term "Workbook" or "Presentation" or "Image" or
whatever is appropriate for a particular application, we can avoid
this ambiguity.  In addition, the technical changes needed to make
this string change possible would also make it possible for menu
options pertaining to embedded KOffice parts to use more appropriate
terminology.  Eg.  "Delete Embedded Chart" or "Delete Embedded Image"
rather than "Delete Embedded Document".

To put this into perspective though, I am not adamant that this is
done for 1.5, it is fairly low down on the list of priorities.

Regards,
Robert.