List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: API enhancement: Selecting area to chart in a KSpread sheet.
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-11-15 17:34:48

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 16.25, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> yes, that can be done: KD Chart supports data with two coordinates, so -
> despite of it not yet offering built-in scatter graphs - you could draw a
> point chart and overlay that with a line chart using the same axes.
> However you ( == KChart ) would need to calculate the points of that trend
> line yourself.

Speaking of the new KD Chart...  Does it support black&white charts, i.e:
 - patterns instead of colors?
 - different marker shapes?

	-Inge

> [...]
> > line), that would be very useful, and was one of the things requested
> > by users in response to Inge's recent KDE Dot article.
> >
> > On 11/14/05, Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@ngi.de> wrote:
> >> Hi Inge,
> >>
> >> I am not absolutely sure if I am correctly understanding what you want
> >> achieve, so please help me to get this right:
> >>
> >> Do you want to be able to change the selection (the one inside KSpread)
> >> from inside the configuration dialog of KChart?
> >>
> >> I have no clue if that can be done (do not know the KOffice code good
> >> enough).
> >>
> >> On the other hand there is something that /can/ be done quite easily:
> >>
> >> The newest version of the KD Chart 1.x branch is not providing built-in
> >> zooming/panning, but it is explicitely 'supporting' zooming and panning
> >> of
> >> the data part to be visualized: The calling application would subclass
> >> from the base class of our data class and could overwrite some methods
> >> following a schema that is documented by us.
> >>
> >> So the calling application (that is KChart) could use this simple
> >> technic
> >> to specify kind of a 'window' onto the big data area - and it could move
> >> this window around, requiring no more than a simple repaint to make the
> >> KD
> >> Chart engine use the new data range.
> >>
> >> Using this new technic we even also get of the need of copying the
> >> KSpread
> >> cell data around, since the data storage sub-classed from KD Chart's
> >> class
> >> does not necessarily need to have the data stored inside - it just has
> >> know how deliver them when is it asked for a cell's data ...
> >>
> >> Porting KChart to the new KD Chart code will be done within the next
> >> days,
> >> so we can very soon try how this windowing would work.
> >>
> >> As I wrote about, the thing I have no clue about is, how we could
> >> propagate to KSpread that the data range has been changed from inside
> >> the
> >> KChart configuration, so perhaps someone else could dig into this
> >> feedback
> >> detail and come up with a nice solution?  :-)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Karl-Heinz
> >>
> >> On So, 13.11.2005, 16:46, Inge Wallin sagte:
> >>
> >> selecting

> >> this

> >> way

> >> change
> >> on

> >> with

> >> "Sheet1.A1:C10"

> >> document

> >> around.

> >> --
> >> Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
> >> AB
> >> <mailto:khz@kdab.net>
> >> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> >>
> >> ** Qt Components, Platform Independent Software, Qt Courses, Mentoring

Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |
inge@lysator.liu.se       |       life becomes meaningless."                |
                          | Geoffrey James: The Tao of Programming.         |