List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: plan for lightweight DOM implementation
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-05 10:20:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 November 2005 10:36, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> On the second thought, I think your method is very good to check the
> correctness of load-on-demand code as it is closer to QDom rather than
> my JDOM-like stuff. It would be useful as nice intermediate step, and
> even easier to test and would give a better reference for further
> implementation, so I think I will also try it.

This sounds more then a bit weird to me; the suggestion moves quite a bit
away from the DOM design in requiring the caller to have more knowledge
about implementation of the dom-library.

From your reply I gather that you intend to develop this API and testing
it in, for example, kspread.

I don't think that is a good idea as it will take too much time and the
some unit tests that comes with an XML file to test all ideas and corner
cases in it.
Expanding the tests and xml file(s) as your implementation grows more
mature.
This requires you write the thing using multiple classes and not one huge
class so your tests actually can 'look inside' the implementation.

It really is the only way to get this to be a stable library any time
soon :)
--
Thomas Zander