List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice Scripting for KDE4 (Was Re: Moving
From:       Adam Treat <treat () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-04 13:58:49

On Friday 04 November 2005 4:33 am, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2005 22:19, Adam Treat wrote:
> >> There is talk of integrating the interpreter loading in the KParts
> >> framework. This would allow us to have, among other things, genuine
> >> KParts that could be written in several different languages as well as
> >> embedded
> >> within regular C++ applications.
>
> Ah. New informations... is it possible to get more input?

The people at OSDW included Ian, Aaron (yes Aaron Aseigo), Matt Broadstone and
Ryan Nickell.  So, essentially the Plasma folks and Ian.  The idea was to
allow the kparts framework to load the respective scripting interpreters when
encountering a kpart of non-C++ origin.  This would allow us to bootstrap
non-C++ kparts into regular C++ applications without the need for handling
the loading at the app level.

> Oh, quit funny... Aaron == Aaron Seigo? I talked with him just some weeks
> ago cause Plasma was seeking for a scripting solution too and according to
> them the decission is still open (well, superkaramba-devels are python-fans
> afaik). I guess at the end they will come up with something own cause it's
> just totaly unclear what will happen with KDE-scripting in near future.

I don't know that decisions have been made one way or another, I just wanted
to point out that this was the discussion I heard... and because I don't
think Ian, Aaron, Matt or Ryan are on this list... I CC'd them.  They of
course can probably give more info.

> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Thanks :) Personally I would be already happy to get more informations or
> some constructive talks and not those "stop work cause we plan _something_
> better and it will be out tomorrow" sentences (sorry for beeing harsh, but
> I don't guess that such a way really helps cause it looks for me like PR if
> any future questions got just iggnored).
>
> So, pleaseeeee... more infos!

No one is saying to stop working, just wanted to keep the communication
open :)

Adam