List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: "Install KOffice unstable from svn" page
From:       Martin Ellis <martin.ellis () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-10-30 17:07:16

On Sunday 30 October 2005 14:49, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Shouldn't there be:
>
> ./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`
>
> (in two places) instead of just ./configure?
> I've got still people having trouble to compile because of wrong prefix...

Actually, I think it's a bad idea to encourage this kind of thing.

Installing an SVN build over an existing, probably packaged KDE install is
just asking for trouble.
How would you delete an installation built from SVN if you install to /usr?

For example, it wasn't so long ago that Krita wouldn't start for a lot of
people because there was still an old plugin installed.  If SVN builds are
installed to a different place, it's much easier to delete the installation
and start again.

Better to explain how to modify their KDEDIRS environment variable to point to
a location that just contains the built-from-SVN installation.

(The KDEDIRS approach also has the advantage that it's very easy to switch
between different installed versions.  I'm alternating between 3.5beta2 and
3.5 branch at work for example)

Installing random files all over the shop is one of the reasons why Windows
systems need to be reinstalled from scratch every so often.  (Said the bitter
voice of experience)

Martin