List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenOffice.org bloat article
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-28 9:23:01

> .... having an AMD64 machine with 2 GB RAM I couldn't resist trying to import
> the provided .sxc file... KSpread crashed after 53 minutes of loading, memory
> was no problem though (looked sth like 300 MB). But this was of course not
> KSpread's "native" format... so that might be an excuse.

I'm not astonished here. I bet even with KSpread's native ksp, the
situation will not be better because as long as we're using QDom, then
memory usage is just like crazy for big file.

If only there is Google Winter of Code, KOffice-wide DOM
implementation which consumes as little memory as possible (with
tricks like Thomas explained before) could be a good project for us.

--
Ariya Hidayat, http://ariya.blogspot.com
http://www.google.com/search?q=ariya+hidayat&btnI