List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-26 10:30:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 12:25, Clarence Dang wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 19:59, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Have mercy on people with slow processors or less memory, please!
> > i.e. bad bad idea.
>
> I am talking about whether it makes any sense with a document-based
> application like KWord.  KWord does not use KUniqueApplication anyway.

This thread started because people with low mem were worried about the
usage.  So, the fact that this thread exists is enough answer to your
question :)

The reason KOffice does not use it is historical, but just as importantly;
various apps are not stable enough to do so.
When either;
a) KOffice apps hardly ever crash (including their filters)
b) KOffice apps don't crash and their filters are moved to separate
processes

only then we should move to KUniqueApplication.  The result of a renewed
lifelyness in KOffice means we should eventually be able to make the
move, the question of moving in the opposite direction seems silly in my
eyes and completely out of touch with what the users want.

ps. the usability aspect of KConfig changes has been solved many years ago
already in the original styleguide.
--
Thomas Zander