List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Good review in November Linux Magazine
From:       Adam Treat <treat () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-17 14:08:27

On Sunday 16 October 2005 10:52 am, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Saturday 15 October 2005 06.06, Adam Treat wrote:
> > A few points:
> >
> > 1. Kugar as a standalone app does not make sense as it relies upon other
> > parts to generate a datafile for it to feed on.  No other KOffice
> > application, besides KPlato that I know of, generates such datafiles...
> > Datakiosk does and perhaps other outside applications do, but you can't
> > really blame Kugar for not generating data for you...
>
> You *can* blame Kugar for not being able to read the data that *does* get
> generated, though.  For instance, CSV import would be nice, as would
> KSpread files, as would other data.

Now Inge, how would you like this to work?  Would you like Kugar to pick the
data out of KSpread, decide what template to place it in, generate a data
file and decide _for you_ which fields to present?  Surely you must be
kidding...

> > 3. I want to combine kudesigner part and kugar part into one part, but
> > this will be after KOffice begins the port to Qt4.  I don't see the need
> > to do this before.
>
> Now you think like a developer.  The users wants this now it seems.  And if
> you don't want to get bad reviews again when 1.5 is released, you better
> listen to them.

Well, no, I think like a human being with limited time.  I also work on other
projects, but with that said I'll try and work on Kugar as time permits...
Just as I have been doing.  See the commits... :)

> > 4.  I know the Kexi developers are set on developing a replacement, which
> > is fine, we can evaluate that when it is available.
>
> I would say that it would be better to work with them rather than wait them
> out.  That would be far more productive.

It goes both ways, Inge.  Both ways.

--
I'm running a Marathon in December!
HELP ME SAVE LIVES and Donate Today!