List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Good review in November Linux Magazine
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-10-14 10:35:09

The November issue of Linux Magazine has a pretty good and extensive review of
KOffice 1.4 by Marcel Hilzinger. He basically starts by saying that if you do
lots of document exchange with MS-users that KOffice is not for you, and
having gotten over that does quite an in-depth review of much of KOffice.

He likes Krita, KSpread, KPresenter, KWord, Karbon and KChart a lot. I don't
know how he managed, but Krita didn't crash for him :-).

His main points of criticism are:

* OpenDocument not yet perfect (but he doesn't whine about that, just notes
that it's work in progress)
* The bullet dropdown toolbutton in KWord is not useful: he thinks that just
defining a bullet style for a document and a single enable bullet action
would enough.
* Apparently, mail merge from an external datasource was boken
* KWord doesn't place a dot after numbers in numbered lists
* KPresenter should be able to generate handouts from presentations
* Kugar is weird, badly integrated and practically unusable -- he suggests we
thing about whether we want to keep Kugar.
* Kexi is not integrated into KOffice at all -- it cannot be a datasource for
mail merge, for instance, the form editor is impractical and so on: he
ascribes this to teething troubles.
* Krita doesn't have cmyk and Karbon's dockers aren't as nice as Krita's --
well those issues are fixed now :-).

It may be worth it writing a letter to the magazine pointing out the amazing
progress we've already made in addressing his issues -- maybe they'll print
it. Shall I prepare one?

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi