List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [webmaster] About KOffice on your web site
From:       Martin Ellis <m.a.ellis () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-10-13 18:48:54

On Thursday 13 Oct 2005 17:15, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> This is probably because you know KOffice internals. Suppose you try
> to explain a novice user "...beside its own native format, KOffice
> also supports OpenDocument...", it implies that KOffice's native
> format is not OpenDocument.

And this confusion is why I suggested avoiding the word 'native' altogether.

AFAIK, users understand statements like "When you do 'Save As', go to where it
says 'Filter' and change it to OASIS" and "I opened it in OpenOffice, it was
identical/similar/not quite right/completely broken"

Words like 'native' and even 'filter' are verging on jargon.  (Although you
can tell people to "click next to where it says 'Filter' on the screen")

If you've ever tried to explain to a non-geek how to save a Word document as
RTF, you'll know what I mean.  You really have to explain every click.

> But of course, compared to you I'm very far from native speaker :-)

See?  Isn't this usage what most people understand by the word 'native'?

Isn't that an even better reason to avoid jargon terms like 'native'? :o)

(BTW, when I first saw "Dismal/In progress/Good/Native" on the website, there
was a moment when I wasn't sure whether it was trying to say that
applications with 'Native' support were the 'official' OpenDocument
implementations.  I really only posted in the first place because I don't
think that kind of thinking is helpful to KOffice)

Regards
Martin