List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice 1.4.1 Accessibility Assessment
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-14 2:16:06

I have completed an accessibility self-assessment for KOffice version 1.4.1.
You can download it in OpenOffice.org v1.1.3 format here:

http://accessibility.kde.org/reports/koffice-1.4.1-accessibility-assessment.sxw

There's a PDF file here:

http://accessibility.kde.org/reports/koffice-1.4.1-accessibility-assessment.pdf

As you'll see, the results are pretty poor.  :/

I would appreciate comments, corrections, etc.

Why did I do this?

1.  It needed to be done.  We can't improve accessibility unless we know what
the problems are.

2.  I would like to initiate a discussion on this list about how to improve
accessibility in KOffice.  There's a Recommendations section at the end of
the document with some ideas.  (I am currently working on a capability to
size QSizer and QDockWindows with the keyboard.)

3.  The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind requested information about
accessibility of OpenDocument applications.  See
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=112653770607958&w=2

My plan is to discuss here for about a week, then post to the
kde-accessibility mailing list for further discussion,  publish on the
accessibility.kde.org website, and send a notification message to the
Massachusetts Commission for the Blind.

BTW, I used OpenOffice.org 2.0 rc1 to convert the document above to
OpenDocument format.  When I loaded it into KWord (recent svn copy), it
mangled it pretty badly.  When I loaded the .xsw file into KWord, it seemed
to lock up. :(

Regards
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)