List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice open diag.
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-09-30 18:21:11

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2005-09-30 16:47:

> Here is an initial setup.
>
> The widget is constructed on application launch, preferably by the KOffice
> library.  The first item is always the recent files and the last item is
> always the custom document, if applicable, naturally.
> So any extra template groups are added in between.

Thomas,
The changes to 'open dialog' look reasonable - even if I moved plans for
reusing this idea in Kexi as 2-nd class TODO.

Yes, embedding the dialog's contents within app's main has benefits. Maybe
with something like Konqueror's / KMail's welcome screen...
User can feel like his app is starting faster.
I am thinking about this because, in particular - for Kexi, there are options
that work outside a context of an (opened) project (e.g. various import
project features, more planned :) ), and for now, to get there, user needs to
close the dialog to get to the app's menu... I admit it: quite annoying.

BTW: one thing that is not related to "moving from dialog to welcome_page"
idea: templates (and template groups) should be properly sorted, I guess by
specifing orderin somewhere in default config files...
I've got similar problem solved for a list of kexi objects, so tables are
always on the 1st place and then queries, and so on.
Similarly, I would prefer to have "empty document" always on the first place,
unlike I can see in document-based KOffice 1.4 apps.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team