List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    XSLT filter for KOffice?
From:       Matej Cepl <ceplm () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2005-09-30 4:04:32

Hi,

I have got now a new job so after five years spent almost exclusively on
Linux (and most of that time in KDE), I have now work full time with M$
Office (this time 2003 Professional). I was really not expecting much, but
I have to confess that today when I tried (in lunch break :-)) how Excel
could work with user-designed XML Schema, I was _really_ impressed. I have
never wrote schema before, but after reading one article on MSDN
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/excel/technicalarticles/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/odc_xl2003_ta/html/officeexcelxmlmappingscenarios.asp?_r=1>
 (sorry, horrible URL) and five minutes, I was able to create XML file
according to my own (very primitive, I admit) XML Schema from a random
Excel file I've got in the email. *Really* impressive!

Back to KOffice reality. I do not expect that anything like this will be
possible in KOffice anytime soon (and for the record, I have no position on
Relax NG v. XML Schema battle), but at least I would be interested in XSLT
based import/export of random XML document into KOffice (mostly KWord and
KSpread). Official filter KOffice page
<http://koffice.kde.org/filters/1.4/> claims that there should be at least
XSLT export filter (?The filter generally works although it is not
finished, and it may suffer from some instability.?) and in some level
maybe some parts of import level (?Work has begun on the filter although
the code is still at an early stage of development, and does not work
properly.?). But latter may not be switched on, I accept. However, I have
here KOffice 1.4.1 (Debian packages from KUbuntu recompiled locally for
Debian/testing and KDE
3.4.1), /usr/share/apps/xsltfilter/export/kword/xslfo contains files
kword2xslfo-table.xsl and main.xsl (which looks promising), but I have not
found a way how to make it work. File/Export in kWord just doesn't suggests
anything looking like export to plain XML or any mentioning of XSLT. Is it
broken package of KWord, or is it switched off, or there is something else
going on?

Thanks

Matej

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
   -- Albert Einstein