List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter usability review.
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2005-09-29 19:37:38

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:53:44 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org>
> To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@kde.org>
> Subject: Re: KPresenter usability review.
>
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Thomas Zander wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 29 September 2005 17:22, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > > I had a look at the help lines/guide lines in kpresenter and kivio and
> > > I really like the implementation of the guides in kivio.
> >
> > From a usability point of view; I fully agree :)
> >
> > > I think it
> > > would be great if we could generalise the guide lines and move them to
> > > kolibs so that ever application can use them, and not everyone has to
> > > implement them in the application itself. If you think this is a good
> > > idea I'll start to adapt the sliders from kivio to be usable also for
> > > kpresenter.
> >
> > The thing to consider here is that guidelines are closely coupled with the
> > rulers. So I personally think (without spending much time reading code)
> > that you can closely couple the guidelines stuff with the rulers as they
> > already exist in koffice lib.
> >
> > Other then that; I'm all for integration !
>
> Me, too. One ruler to rule them all, one guide to guide us all! Btw, when
> working on guides, it would be nice to be able to have diagonal guides,

Really?

I've seen Corel Painter which includes a very fancy 3D perspective overlay
grid and other programs which support other simplier grid varieties
including isometric and diagonal grids.

I have not seen Diagonal guides though.  Perhaps they exist.  I wonder
what problem they solve and if there might be better ways to solve those
problems without making the concept of guides even more complex?

> I think. Krita's guides suck mightily and besides, there's no way to snap
> to them, so Krita should adopt these KOffice-wide guides, too. I agree with
> the guide drag too, too.

Hopefully standard guides would include snapping and dragging otherwise
there is a risk someone might reimplement them again in an application
specific way instead of sharing across KOffice.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com