List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Really bad review of KOffice 1.4.1
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-19 7:17:40

> I agree with Alan's comments, that we need better MS Word / MS Excel
> support.  But perhaps it would make sense instead of writing import
> filters for KOffice, we wrote a separate utility which could convert
> MS Word or MS Excel files to OpenDocument format instead?  This would
> then be useful for other projects besides KOffice, and the KOffice
> components would only have to focus on providing excellent OASIS
> support.

I plan to convert the Excel filter to output directly OpenDocument file.
Is it a good idea? Of course it will still depend on KOffice libraries.
However, if someone can create a minimum framework so that the filter
(perhaps after slightly modified) depends only on Qt, then many will be very
happy, I believe. For me, it is also good because I can work on Windows since
it is easier to go back and forth to Excel for checking.

Best regards,

Ariya Hidayat