List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Matrix handling in KSpread ?
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-15 6:51:59

> Gettig to stage where I want to add some GUI for the matri stuff in
> KSpread. I was thinking about a solution, and I have something that
> would be simple and effective - adding an ELEMENT function, to be used
> as =ELEMENT(A4;5;1) displays column 5 row 1 from matrix stored in A4,
> cells with matrices display their (1,1) element. Plus a GUI to
> automatically fill in cells with the ELEMENT calls.

This is called INDEX function in Excel, AFAIK.

> However, looks like everyone and their dog seems to be requesting
> excel compatibility - hence it might be necessary to make this in a
> way that's consistent with how excel does these things. And herein
> lies the problem. I have no idea how excel does this, and am too lazy
> to study lots of docs. No user-visible GUI was found when I was
> looking, so it must be something obscure. Anyone happens to know how
> excel does this ? And, is it important to stick with their version ?
> Note that I'll still add the ELEMENT function ( way too easy for me to
> resist adding it :D ), it just may end up to not be the default way of
> doing things ...

What do you mean by user-visible GUI? Matrix is in Excel defined as normal
array of values. Matrix function, however, must be executed with
Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of just Enter.

I do not know how far you need to extend the formula parser to support
"real" matrix operation ala Excel because when I designed and implemented
it at first, I hadn't thought of matrix support yet. For example, operator {
and } are both ignored.

Also, try google with keywords of excel, matrix, index, and such.

Best regards,

Ariya Hidayat