List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: A-functions
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-04 19:10:14

On 8/4/05, Tapio Kautto <eleknader@phnet.fi> wrote:
> With all respect to your work, the SUMA, COUNTA etc functions are very
> important, please do not remove them!
>
> In excel they are used to make difference whether arguments / cells include
> numeric values:
>
> COUNT(4,668,"","rockrock") returns 2
> COUNTA(4,668,"","rockrock") returns 3

So, do I understand it correctly that their primary difference in
practical usage is that  the A-versions include empty cells, whereas
non-A versions don't ? And that the thing about boolean argument is
just something obscure that no one uses ? Then it won't be a problem -
they currently behave like that, so I'll simply leave them as-is.
Might be a problem with counting big arrays, as my optimizations won't
be very useful then, but I'll see what can be done ...

Oh, in your example ... Why does the latter return 3 ? Shouldn't it be
4 ? Two numbers, one empty string and one other string.
Hm, the former might return 4 too in KSpread - a string is not an
empty value - should this be distinguished too ? As in, A-version
counting everything, whereas non-A version ignoring empty cells and
also string values ? This would be doable, but might cause problems
with some things ...

/ Tomas

/ Tomas