List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: A-functions
From:       Tapio Kautto <eleknader () phnet ! fi>
Date:       2005-08-04 18:49:13

Thomas,

Thanks for the new function engine!

With all respect to your work, the SUMA, COUNTA etc functions are very
important, please do not remove them!

In excel they are used to make difference whether arguments / cells include
numeric values:

COUNT(4,668,"","rockrock") returns 2
COUNTA(4,668,"","rockrock") returns 3

I think these should match the behaviour of the same functions in Excel.

This site shows pretty good examples:

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/index.php

Lainaus Tomas Mecir <mecirt@gmail.com>:

> One thing that I'm a bit uncertain of, is the following one:
> Some range functions exist in two versions, with one of tham having
> the A suffix. SUM vs. SUMA, COUNT vs. COUNTA, and so on.
> In excel and friends, the difference is that the A version treats
> boolean values as 1s and 0s, whereas the non-A version ignores them or
> fails on them or I-don't-know-what. With all the new technology in
> KSpread, however, boolean values are automatically converted to
> numbers when needed (and so are any other data types). Hence, the
> A-functions are a bit redundant.

no no, the difference is with numeric and non-numeric values!

I'll test if TRUE / FALSE will be treated as numbers in excel, I'll get back to
you about that.

> The only possible use for these would be so that the A-versions would
> ignore empty cells, whereas the non-A ones would include them.
> COUNT/COUNTA already behave like this.

Both of them need to ignore empty cells.
> So, the question is - any idea what to do ? Should we stay
> excel-compatible even in these minor cases ? Note that full
> compatibility is not possible, due to excel's value handling being
> much less powerful than ours ( - feeling a bit of personal pride :D
> -). Or dump A-versions entirely?

Please don't dump them!

Best Regards,

Eleknader