List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Spell checker, hyphenation and thesaurus
From:       John Tapsell <john () geola ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-08-03 21:31:30

> It would be cool to have the hyphenation code in kdelibs, hyphenation is
> not useful in a word processor only.
>
> For example, I'd very much like to have hyphenation enabled in kmail, in
> the help browser and (maybe as an option) in khtml.

It would also be extremely useful to be have a syllable count dictionary.
European laws introduce new legislation that basically says that documents
must be readable by those for whom they are intended.  One side effect of
this is that readability analysis almost a requirement.  MS Word has this
built in.  (You have to enable in the options, then its under
file->properties.)

 It's easy to code (I coded several of the popular algorithms for openoffice
once), but it requires the spell checking to return the number of syllables
in a word.

JohnFlux