List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice in non-cpp
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-04-15 12:48:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 15 April 2005 13:35, Tim Beaulen wrote:
> Personal opinion:
>   Would it not make it more difficult if you create a program that is mixed
> with several languages?
> One programmer codes things in C, the other in C++ and another programmer
> in JAVA.
> It's possbile that all three know those languages very well and can work on
> eachothers code.
> But I think chances are big that not everyone can fix things as easily in
> "mixed" code, and therefore the motivation to work on the project might
> fade away... just the same as your motivation fades away from long compile
> times or no garbage collection.
>   Or maybe I understood you wrong and you mean something completely
> different.

That's one of the problems. Another is the lack of build integration and the
third is that qtjava/kdejava is still jni based which is slow and
inconvenient compared to cni. But if the technical problems were resolved, I
wouldn't hesitate in accepting, say, a plugin for Krita done in a java-like
language compatible with gcj.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi