List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice in non-cpp
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-15 12:20:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Tim,

On Friday 15 April 2005 13:35, Tim Beaulen wrote:
> Personal opinion:
>   Would it not make it more difficult if you create a program that is
> mixed with several languages?
> One programmer codes things in C, the other in C++ and another programmer
> in JAVA.
> It's possbile that all three know those languages very well and can work
> on eachothers code.

My experience is that a very limited number of developers are working on the
whole of KOffice anyway; most developers stay in a small number of files.
Next to that; the languages are not so different; there are things you need
to know but maintaining others peoples code is not that hard.  Whatever the
language.
Well; unless you start to add Haskell; I tried fixing a bug there but got no
further then changing strings :)

> But I think chances are big that not everyone can fix things as easily in
> "mixed" code, and therefore the motivation to work on the project might
> fade away... just the same as your motivation fades away from long
> compile times or no garbage collection.
We have seen many people come and go over the years in the KOffice project,
many tried to fix bugs in our apps and some really did provide good
patches.  Using a language that is thought in schools around the world
instead of one that is not will most propably just get more eyeballs on
board.

>   Or maybe I understood you wrong and you mean something completely
> different.
I really do mean to have a mixed language environment.  Not to the extreme,
certainly.  But I definitely don't want to rip out old code just for the
fun of it or start to sent a bugfix to an all-c++ project by replacing one
method in Java.
Common sense and all..

--
Thomas Zander