List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread DB import thoughts.
From:       "Ariya Hidayat" <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-01 23:22:19

> Maybe we can use the Kexi drivers to get around this.
> We could probably
> 1. use the KexiDB drivers, and keep the same 'Pick your SQL SELECT statement'
> functionality, and also get a list of databases.
> 2. use the KexiDB migration drivers for DBs that we can't write to.  Right now
> that only means MS Access tables.  At some point in the future, I'd like to
> have Paradox too.  We'd probably have to use migration drivers for databases
> with no KexiDB system tables.
> Anybody working on this?  I might be interested in having a bit of a go...

I think this is a good idea. Go ahead if you think you can manage it.
Personally IMHO it is better to implement all this stuff as plug-in (i.e. "dbimport" or
similar name). Raphael's recent calendar plugin should help you to understand
the framework. I guess the first logical step is to modify current DB import as
plug-in first, then extend it (or make a new one) to deal with KexiDB.

> Anyway, then I picked a bunch of tables and some fields, but got an error
> message about trying to modify the database.  Turns out one of my fields is
> called 'updated' and KSpread thinks I'm trying to write an UPDATE statement -
> could some KSpread bod review the attached patch, please?

Patch is fine for me, please commit.

Best regards,

Ariya Hidayat