List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kcalc in kspread
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-03-29 17:33:23

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 18:53, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 18:49, Klaus Niederkrueger wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > As you maybe know, there is a "kcalc" inside "kspread", which was
> > forked off the standard calculator some years ago. In the long
> > run I would like to remove "kcalc" from "kspread" and always use
> > the system version, but to learn what changed and not to break
> > things, I want to try to update "kcalc" in kspread to a newer
> > version.
>
> OK.
>
> This was discussed here before I think, but AFAIK the kcalc plugin
> integrates with kspread to e.g. get the current value from a cell,
> and put it back there after calculation. So to use the system
> version, one could probably use DCOP for that.

Yes, right. The best solution would really be to remove the current
kcalc plugin. The system version should be launched and communication
between this and the values in the KSpread spreadsheet should/can be
done with DCOP [sorry for repeating]

You can find the current plugin in koffice/kspread/plugins/calculator.
Basically the plugin infrastructure itself can stay as much as it is
appropriate for the new approach. Otherwise you can also take a look
at the insertcalendar plugin or any other plugin in the KDE
sourcecode (or the KDE developers site - http://developer.kde.org).

You might want to launch the system's kcalc with Qt's QProcess class
(http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qprocess.html) and then look up the
kcalc application with DCOP and connect to it. The kcalc's DCOP
app-id is "kcalc-<PID>", you get the PID from the QProcess class...

I hope this is helpful to get you started, of course no promise that
this approach is optimal, but I guess that's the general route you
may want to take to accomplish this.

> > Since I never worked for the koffice-development, I want to ask
> > if there is anything I should have in mind, or if there are any
> > other comments on this. Maybe there is some release schedule,
> > which is approaching or something similar, maybe you don't like
> > code changes of this magnitude...
>
> We do like code changes :)
> But indeed there's a freeze approaching: April 11 - see

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/koffice-1.4-release-plan.

Despite this release plan we would very much like to have that
"feature" or change ready for the 1.4 release. This gives more than a
week's (almost 2) time to accomplish this. If you have further
questions, please ask on this list. Since we try to get as many
bugfixes and features in there is a lot to do at the moment, so
additional help is of course always welcome.

Thanks for your interest in doing this!
Raphael