List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    OASIS importance (was: Re: Cleaning in KSpread?)
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-03-15 20:29:08

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 20:59, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 09:05, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Answering two mails at once...

> > Hmm, yes, that was the reason we agreed to make the 1.4 release
> > even though the OASIS support is not finished.
> >
> > > Well, I just want to say that I personally want to have AS MUCH
> > > OASIS support as possible in 1.4 already.
> >
> > Why?  I may be misunderstanding things here, but I thought that
> > either you support a file format or you don't.  Is it really
> > useful to be able to just save some properties of the document
> > and not all?
> >
> > If it *is* useful, then of course as much as possible is the
> > right thing.  :-)
> >
> >  -Inge
>
> MS Office -> OOo -> KOffice
>
> OOo -> KOffice is much better with OASIS than is with current OOo
> import filters.

[sorry for replying to my own mail]

The above sentence should read: the current OASIS filters are already
much better implemented and functional than the OpenOffice.org 1
filters. So OOo 2 <-> KOffice 1.4 compatibility depends on how well
we support OASIS.

> That's a vital thing for migration. (That is: I run the bunch of
> files through OOo filters once and can then use them in KOffice).

The background is: For a month now I have a small company working with
KDE and KOffice. They have lots of old files (read: MS Office), and
currently OOo is used for handling old files and KOffice for all new
files - that is, the production office suite. Having two office
suites is obviously not the best thing to do and I want to get rid of
this as soon as possible (of course). Having all files converted
would be nice (the state of the OOo 1 import filters IMHO don't allow
this without some headache). With OASIS the possibility is there to
convert everything from MS Office through OOo to OASIS and work with
KOffice. So having OASIS support *IS* very useful from a rather
practical point of view many people - in particular companies - are
faced with.

As far as I can judge things OASIS support is the de facto most
important feature to allow companies to use KOffice as an office
suite even if they have many old (MS Office) files because they can
be converted to OASIS with OOo. With this procedure all those people
don't have to use _two_ office suites in parallel when migrating to
KDE.

And using KOffice as an office suite has obvious benefits in many
aspects over OOo in a KDE environment [not going into details -
better integration, nicer and better functional user interface,
easier to use, lightweight, faster, better core technologies, ...
worse MS Office filters, but OASIS support [=use OOo for converting
legacy stuff]]

Concluding: supporting OASIS file format is very important for KOffice
to be usable in companies  (OOo is good enough to be used as
"filter").

Raphael