List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.3.6?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-02-28 20:43:44

On Monday 28 February 2005 18.29, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 13:55, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Well, basically the question is: will there be one?
> >
> > I have done a lot of fixes for KChart in HEAD that don't involve any
> > string changes.  I could easily backport them to Koffice 1.3, but if the
> > 1.3 line is discontinued, I don't see any use in it.
>
> Well the question bounces the other way round: do you think we should make
> a 1.3.6 to ship those fixes out, or can it wait for 1.4?

It can probably wait for 1.4 *if* that release comes when it was planned, i.e.
march 2005. In my opinion, KChart was almost unusable, but is now a pretty
decent little charting application.  Of course, it can still use some
polishing, but it has definitely transformed into a usable state.

> The problem is that I don't know how much time we need for OASIS support
> to be complete in order to switch to it as native file format, and only
> then releasing.... Maybe a safer approach would be to ship 1.4 with OASIS
> as an optional import/export option (like it is now), but that goes a bit
> against what we promised for 1.4.

I would like that a lot.

OASIS support will take a lot of time to get right.  I think that KOffice 1.3
has a lot of issues that are fixed in HEAD, and these issues are keeping the
users from liking KOffice. We need to keep the momentum going, to cite
Boudewijn Rempt.  I think that we will lose a lot of mindshare and users if
Open Office comes out with new releases all the time and we get stuck.People
will start to think of KOffice as a dead project.

Thus, I think that we should start planning for a release of version 1.4
*soon* with OASIS support as an option.  Then we can  release the complete
OASIS based Koffice as 2.0 later.  In my opinion, OASIS is such a big
milestone that I think that it actually warrants a 2.0 stamp, and we need to
come out with a new version promply.

 -Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |