List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice potential, a call for developers
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-01-08 18:33:56

On Saturday 08 January 2005 18:25, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments, I am just about to submit the
> article on dot.kde.org, so it came _just in time_, comments later,
> copy to the koffice list.
>
> Regards,
> Raphael

Because I quite reworked the article, I post it here once more; I have
largely incorporated the suggestions from Philippe. I give you all
about another hour to comment on it (especially: what do you think
about the LAST sentence? Should it be removed?):

KOffice development
human-resource-management dept.

KOffice is built on KDE. This advantage brings enormous potential in
terms of integration, performance and even scalability which are
vital for business deployments. The KOffice team is looking for
contributors to significantly increase and utilize the potential of
KOffice even further.

The functionality KOffice has already reached in its short life is
significant. And still, KOffice has good performance and is fully
usable on low-end hardware, which makes it suited for organizations
and individuals. This could even save costs when upgrading the office
software and old hardware can be reused.

Because KOffice is built directly on KDE, it can offer the best office
experience on a KDE desktop. Many excellent technologies already
present in the KDE Framework are available for KOffice at almost no
cost. These features range from automation via DCOP and document
location abstraction (remote file editing) via KIO to a fully object
oriented design through Qt and KDE libraries. Additionally KOffice
extends the application embedding capability (KParts) of KDE to allow
highly integrated documents. Such a close integration also results in
fast application load time, while still having all these features
available.

Even full OASIS Open Document Format support is being worked on which
is the same file format as OpenOffice.org 2 will use. This will make
data exchange with OpenOffice.org seamless while being a fully
integrated KDE office suite. Building on an approved and open
document standard is a key feature today.

Much work has already been done and central office components like
KWord, KPresenter, Kivio and KSpread are quite stable with only a few
glitches here and there.

And KOffice has many more applications to offer that will be included
in next major releases: Krita (Pixmap Graphics), Kexi (Database
Frontend) and KPlato (Project Management). All these applications are
in development and have a huge potential. Additionally some smaller
utilities such as KFormula and KOffice Workspace are available.

As you can see, KOffice is close to offer a very complete office
environment, completely integrated into your KDE environment and
completely free.

The development of so many additional office components has of course
raised the number of developers needed. We are looking for additional
contributors to be able to offer all KOffice components in a fully
stable and functional state.

If you are interested in helping to make this happen, feel free to
have a look at the webpage and contact the developers mailing list.
Both, developers and documentation writers, are very welcome. There
are also easy-to-get-started jobs available. And in case you have
special interests of any kind feel free to contact us.