List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice potential, a call for developers
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-01-08 14:30:20

On Saturday 08 January 2005 14:59, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 08 January 2005 14:07, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I post the article here for review, I'll submit it to dot.kde.org
> > a few hours later today.
> >
> > Article title: KOffice development
> >
> > from the human-resource-management-dept.
> >
> > KOffice is one of the youngest office suites available.
>
> Not true.
> Bad idea to start with a questionable statement that is also
> counter-productive to the goal (gain respect).

"one of the"... well, yes, there is that Java based Office suite
(can't remember the name), then there is the combination of some
Gnome applications that are considered as an office suite. I don't
know how old Hancom Office is...
This statement isn't intended to be disrespectful, do you have a
suggestion on this? If I can think of sth better I'll also post it.
Starting a flamewar on dot.kde.org is definitely not intended, so if
it can be avoided beforehand, the better.

> > Because KOffice is built directly on KDE, it can offer the best
> > office experience on a KDE desktop. Even full OASIS document
> > format support is targeted for the next release (1.4) which is
> > the same file format as OpenOffice.org 2 will have. This will
> > make data exchange with OpenOffice.org seamless!
>
> Don't publish statements that we (currently) simply don't have to
> manpower to fullfill.  I suggest a "Work is in progress to [...]".
> without any versions or dates.

Ok, if "is targeted for the next release" is not true enough anymore,
then I will replace it. So far I have read the posts about it being
difficult to manage if there are not more people, but (I might have
missed it) I haven't read about a decision to postpone this goal. I
guess I'll rewrite it to your suggestion anyway, since it doesn't
harm the statement.

> On a different note; your post does not give me any reason to
> believe you on the potential KOffice has, and what I could add to
> it.  But writing something is better then nothing, I guess.

hmm... yes, it's a bit difficult to keep the length down and providing
enough information on the other hand. I expect the readers of
dot.kde.org to have some knowledge of available technologies in KDE
(KParts, KIO, DCOP, Qt technologies (signals/slots, events,
widgets, ...), KDE widgets, ... etc.). Do you think that I should add
a sentence to give example of such technology?

Thanks for feedback,
--
Raphael Langerhorst, JID: raphael@jabber.pilgerer.de
G System, The Evolving Universe - http://www.g-system.at