List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice potential, a call for developers
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-01-08 13:07:04

Hi all,

I post the article here for review, I'll submit it to dot.kde.org a
few hours later today.

Article title: KOffice development

from the human-resource-management-dept.

KOffice is one of the youngest office suites available. And it is
built on KDE. This advantage brings enormous potential in terms of
integration, performance and even scalability which are vital for
business deployments. You can help to utilize these capabilities and
bring the full potential of KOffice to life.

The functionality KOffice has already reached in its short life is
incredible if we consider the small number of developers that made
this happen. And still, KOffice has a great performance despite all
the functionality already implemented. This makes it even usable on
quite old hardware.

Because KOffice is built directly on KDE, it can offer the best office
experience on a KDE desktop. Even full OASIS document format support
is targeted for the next release (1.4) which is the same file format
as OpenOffice.org 2 will have. This will make data exchange with
OpenOffice.org seamless!

Much work has already been done, but KOffice simply needs more
developers to fully utilize and implement the potential it has. Many
central office components like KWord, KPresenter, Kivio and KSpread
are already quite stable but still have a few glitches here and
there. Karbon14 (vector graphics) and Kugar (report generator) are in
a less good shape because of lack of developers. Also smaller
components like KFormula, KChart or KDGantt could use some attention.

And KOffice has many more applications to offer that will hopefully be
included in next major releases: Krita (Pixmap Graphics), Kexi
(Database Frontend) and KPlato (Project Management). All these
applications are in development, have a huge potential ... and could
use more human resources.

As you can see, KOffice is close to offer a very complete office
environment, probably the most feature complete office suite
available, completely integrated and completely free.

If you are interested in helping to make this happen, feel free to
have a look at the webpage and contact the developers mailing list.
Both developers and documentation writers are very welcome. There are
also easy-to-get-started jobs available. And if you don't have a CVS
account, don't worry, just send you patches to the mailing list and
we will apply your improvements to KOffice.

--
Raphael Langerhorst, JID: raphael@jabber.pilgerer.de
G System, The Evolving Universe - http://www.g-system.at