List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Freeze
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-12-26 17:04:51

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:46:46 +0100, Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:
> I have asked me a similar question about a freeze date too and I did not come
> to any conclusion. :-(
> - who will not be able to switch to KDE4 quickly, either due to old hardware,
> lack of time to always compile...
Me ;)

> - who will be still able to do useful work while remaining on KDE3?
Me, hopefully ;)

Umm, here I'd like to ask...
As you probably know, I plan to branch KSpread at some time after the
feature freeze (I should have enough time for KSpread again at that
time). However, this would be kinda complicated if
kofficecore/kofficeui move to KDE4. So, what to do ? Also branch the
libs ? Or base the branch on the 1_4 branch ? Or panick (hopefully
not) ?

If need be, I might be able to get kdelibs-4.0 working at some time
when the API stabilises (using some chroot or other trick), but I
certainly won't be updating the whole KDE until 4.0 final.

Oh and by the way, I'm on KDE 3.3 already, so in case that my KDE 3.2
was the only reason for keeping compatibility with it in admin/, then
the need is no longer there :)

/ Tomas