List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: PPT->KPresenter filter
From:       "\\\"shaheed r. haque\\\"" <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2004-11-05 14:47:06

Quoting Michael Goldish <michaelgol@bezeqint.net>:

> Each KPresenter slide produced by the PPT filter is a blank slide with a
> single embedded Karbon object, which covers the entire slide. This is because
>
> everything (shapes, colors, even texts, and probably the background too,
> though I'm not sure about it) is described as MSOD objects inside the MSOD
> chunk. This means that the user has to do all editing operations with Karbon,
>
> and can't use KPresenter features, like a master slide (a planned feature
> according to Thorsten Zachmann) and dashed lines (a feature I could find in
> KPresenter but not in Karbon?).
>
> Is this acceptable?
>
> It is possible to import MSOD to KPresenter directly, without using Karbon,
> but then KWord and KSpread won't be able to use the MSOD filter in the
> future.

I think you should do whichever is easiest first since we will need both. For
example, MS Word generally allows drawing directly on a page as well as into a
picture. I fully expect MSOD to grow subclasses to handle the different cases -
that's why the pure virtual gotXXX() methods exist in msod.h and why all the
karbon-specific logic is in a derived class. Just make a different derived class
for the direct to kpresenter case!

And once you have something working, its much easier (for others?) to fill in
the gaps :-)

Thanks, Shaheec