List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Wannabe-developer requests some help;
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-11 17:30:31

On Monday 11 October 2004 16:52, HLV Kwint wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Today I checked out the oo-cvs, and I got the source of the filters with
> the German comments in them I was looking for on my computer now.
> The reason they're a mess, I think (I only took a short look at it) is
> they're written by more than one person,

Definitely, yes.

> because the comments involve
> English ones, some of them maybe even descending from an ancient StarOffice
> version I believe, and some of them are in German.

The German ones are the older comments ("ancient" StarOffice code). The newer
code is commented in English.

> I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with them, but a nice start,
> helping the OO-folks too, would be making sure all the comments in the
> filters are in the same language, and not in two different ones (I think I
> put the translated ones somewhere at
> www.geocities.com/hkwint/  ).

Just translating old comments might be a problem. Comments tend to get out of
sync with the surrounding code pretty quickly, so every comment should be
"reviewed" by someone who knows the code...

> After that, if the filters are really such a mess (I don't know at the
> moment (I'm only a beginning C++ programmer, so the code is hocus-pocus to
> me, no matter if it's structurized or not), I may try to help the
> wv2-project, if that's simpler and of greater use for KOffice. Maybe it's
> possible to 'borrow' some of the OO-filters-source, if they appear to be
> useful.

Just send a mail if you have questions about wv2. In the wv2/doc/ directory
you can find a highlevel architectural description to get started.

Ciao,
Werner