List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Solution for absurd filter chains
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-10-03 15:37:46

On Sunday 03 October 2004 17:20, zander@kde.org wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 05:08:36PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > text

> > > Well, right now the weight is just used to find the best path, but it
> > > should be easy to add another if statement that drops a (otherwise
> > > valid) chain if the accumulated weight is above a certain threshold.
> > > Then all you have to do is to make the weight of all plain text filters
> > > exactly the threshold. If one more filter is added the chain is
> > > invalid.
> >
> > Well, that makes then impossible to have:
> > OASIS-> KWord 1.3 -> plain text
> > which we will need at some point.
>
> That conclusion is a little short sighted;  dont make it _the_ threshhold
> then :)

Good let's say the text filter have a weight of 50 and the threshhold is 100.
Let say OASIS to old formats have 20.

But that creates another problem, it makes that the text filter will be much
later, for example for KWord:

KWord
[Here all KWord formats]
AbiWord (directly by KWord's old format saving)
[Here all other export filters]
AbiWord (saved as OASIS, then OASIS to KWord 1.3 filter, then AbiWord filter.)
[Here again all other export filters]
Plain text (directly)
Plain text (saved as OASIS)

> I'm not familiar enough with what filters there are; and this _really_ is
> the simplest solution, so I can't implement this.   Furthermore, I'm quite
> convinced its the right solution.
>

> Nicolas; please take the time to look into what is needed to do this and
> don't hesitate to ask if you find more problems you _really_ can't solve.

Well, the problem is not new and I have checked many solutions. So if it was
so easy to solve, why it is this problem still there then. it could have been
solved directly in KOffice 1.2 already. (Sorry, I am just sad about the
wasted time.)

Have a nice day!