List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: "Canvas" for Qt4
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2004-08-28 17:10:47

> OK, we agreed 1.4 is a KDE3/Qt3 based release, but in the talk today,
David
> talked about an updated canvas. In terms of Qt 4, are we talking about
Arthur
> (the painter) or Scribe (the text renderer)?

This is interesting because last I knew that the old QCanvas was obsolete
and a new canvas was not really decided about / planned.
A canvas based on Arthur would be really cool.

> Has anyone else taken a close look at Qt 4 preview?

I have looked, but I was not really impressed, at least on the Arthur part.
IMHO it is a hybrid solution between the "old" style - X windoows, Windows
GDI rendering approach and the new style (SVG, PDF / Apple Quartz,
Postscript image model, GDI+, Avalon)
So basically it is neither fish nor flesh.

For information about canvas, i.e. a retained mode rendering model, you
could check out kcanvas in kdenonbeta, even if I doubt that
its current features are really sufficient.

Regards
Dirk