List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Regexp: one or two functions? (KSpread)
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () factotummedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-08-17 15:34:42

Maybe some examples on what the user would see/type are in order;
I'm not to sure how to find that in the patches..

All unix heads know that /foo/ is search and s/foo/bar/ is replace.
In a speadsheet something like find(a1, "foo") is normal (isn't it)
so a regex(a1, "foo", "bar") IMO is not really that silly.

more advanced regexps like
    regex(a1, "we like (carrot|beans)", "we hate $1") seem to scale well IMO.

I'm bound to have things quite wrong; please explain things (in various
short examples :) for us to open a little discussion!

Cheers!

ps; I noticed many commercial players to use 'regex' instead of 'regexp';
no idea if that comes from usability studies, but an alias might be in order here..

--
Thomas Zander