List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bug 76757 : modification of style manager
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-09 22:15:40

On Sunday 25 July 2004 15:32, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2004 14:52, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 July 2004 10:50, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> (...)
> > > I agree that langages are not always used at the whole paragraph and can
> > > be used at a word level. However, I don't agree it is a character
> > > property. The minimum item you will give a langage property is a word and
> > > most of the time it is set for paragraphs. In order to set it for an
> > > individual word we might need to add a langage sub-menu in the format
> > > menu. I would definitly not expect to find the langage setting in Fonts.
> >
> > But it is a character property. If you want it word-wise you cannot have it
> > paragraph-wise. A property can be at paragraph level or at character level.
> > That is all. (That perhaps "font" is a bad title is perhaps another
> > problem.)
>
> What I mean is that the OASIS specification tells that it is a character
> property (OASIS calls it "text formatting properties".)
>

> > > For me hyphenation is even more belonging to paragraphs. You do not
> > > hyphenate a single character. Setting the hyphenation property just for a
> > > word works but is not very logical in a word processing environment (the
> > > slightest change in margins or in the text prior to that word might make
> > > it begining of a new line while the previous word would have to be
> > > hyphenated.
> >
> > Yes, I was surprised too. And it seems that for OO, it is paragraph-wise
> > too. (I have not checked OASIS yet.) So I do not know. I will try to look
> > further..
>
> I looked into the OASIS specification and indeed it described as one of the
> "text formatting properties" so it is at character level. (Well, the trick of
> using a soft hyphen at a end of a word to not hyphanate is also not
> intuitive.)
>

> > (David?)

XSL/FO defines hyphenation as a character property, and it makes sense,
so I suggested to the OASIS group to do the same (since we do so in KOffice).
This is why you see a difference in OOo-1.1, but I suspect this might change
in OOo-2.0.

The argument that the layout might change is correct, but that's exactly a reason
FOR this feature, not against it, if the user is using it correctly.
E.g. you can use this feature to disable hyphenation in capitalized words
(someone's last name, a town name, etc. ... I forgot the real term for this kind of word).
If the layout would hyphenate this word, it won't; if it changes and ends up hyphenating
another (common) word, then no problem.