List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bug 76757 : modification of style manager
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-07-25 12:52:42

On Sunday 25 July 2004 10:50, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> >-- Message original --
>
> From: Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de>
>
> >To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@mail.kde.org>
> >Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:36:52 +0200
> >Subject: Re: Bug 76757 : modification of style manager
> >
> >On Saturday 24 July 2004 19:07, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> >> Hi, I am starting to have a look at this one.
> >> I would like to change some stuff in the way the style manager is
> >> organised. Let me know your opinions on these ideas (I personaly find
>
> them
>
> >> more logical, but it may not look the same to everybody):
> >
> >The problem of splitting dialogs is that it is only good if it is not done
> >
> >only in the stylist but also in each of the individual dialogs.
> > (Especially
> >
> >for the points 2 and 3 below.)

I want to add to my comment here, that it is also important, as KWord is
supposed to get character styles soon and possibly the stylist dialog should
be modified having this idea in mind too.

> >> 1. Move the Font/Position group to Font effect tab. The Font effect tab
> >
> >may
> >
> >> be renamed (perhaps to Font : Avanced).
> >> This had the effect of reducing the height of the dialog. It is still

> >tad
> >
> >> big (in 800x600) but at least the buttons OK/APPLY/CANCEL are reachable
> >> now). This is the only thing I have tried to implement yet.
> >
> >Perhaps split the "font effect" tab in two, while moving the
> > "Font/Position"
> >
> >group.
>
> I will give it a thought. On one hand, I would be for the following :
>  - "Font" sub tab with just the font selection
>  - "Font enphasing" (this is for the lack of a better term) with
> underlying, striketrough and maybe capitalisation.
>  - "Font position" would then be on its own but that would give the space
> to go for radio buttons with "none".
>  - "Font decoration" with colors and shadows.
>
> On the other hand the color property is often wanted and would be nice if
> available on the first tab.

But what about the font preview? It does not seem to preview everything but
only what is on the first page /except super/sub-script).

However I have not any good idea about what to do with it. (Suppressing it is
bad for the single dialog.)

> >> 2. Create a "Paragraph flow" tab (better name welcome) that would group
> >>
> >> General/Next style (perhaps renamed to Style of next paragraph),
> >> Font/Font Effect/Language and Hyphenation.
> >
> >No!
> >
> >General/Next style is at layout level (layout == paragraph formating)
> >
> >But font effect, language and hypenation are charcter properties.
>
> I did not want to move font effect, just the langage and hyphenation (I
> was indicating the path, but I see now that it was not very clear) and the
> next style.
>

> I agree that langages are not always used at the whole paragraph and can
> be used at a word level. However, I don't agree it is a character property.
> The minimum item you will give a langage property is a word and most of
> the time it is set for paragraphs. In order to set it for an individual
> word we might need to add a langage sub-menu in the format menu.
> I would definitly not expect to find the langage setting in Fonts.

But it is a character property. If you want it word-wise you cannot have it
paragraph-wise. A property can be at paragraph level or at character level.
That is all. (That perhaps "font" is a bad title is perhaps another problem.)

> For me hyphenation is even more belonging to paragraphs. You do not
> hyphenate a single character. Setting the hyphenation property just for a
> word works but is not very logical in a word processing environment (the
> slightest change in margins or in the text prior to that word might make it
> begining of a new line while the previous word would have to be hyphenated.

Yes, I was surprised too. And it seems that for OO, it is paragraph-wise too.
(I have not checked OASIS yet.) So I do not know. I will try to look
further..

(David?)

> This was my reasoning behind the paragraph flow tab (which would be at the
> same level as indent...). This tab could also be added in the individual
> paragraph setting dialog.
>
> As for "next style", I agree with you. It belongs to the style, not the
> paragraph (as in individually settable).

(...)

> >> Pierre

Have a nice day!

(...)