List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Article about OOo/KOffice/OASIS database
From:       Jaros³aw_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2004-07-17 9:00:46

Dirk Schönberger wrote:

> Sorry, I think I don't quite understand this ;)
>
>> I am glad you said this. Indeed, Kexi is trying to offer both ways: 1)
> forms
>> autogenerated by a wizards or forms designed by users from scratch
>> 2) forms that are other "form" of table/query VIEWS.
>
> Do you mean that you have forms connected to a database view / table and
> forms which are standalone?

Yes, so user can choose what is better for him/her. Connected forms are not
yet available in cvs.

> Or do you mean that you have database forms (as in a set of input elements
> which are graphically displayed) and
> database tabular views?

You mean MS access' way of doing things? No, AFAIR we agreed it's a bit
naive. :)

>> The latter way changes dynamically when db schema changes. I'd like to
>> add
> that Kexi has already
>> quite rich db schema storage implemented (richer than db engines in
>> general) and this will be improved (even up to table schema inheritance,
>> etc.).
>
> the rich db schema storage - is this something like a data dictionary,
> where you can store representation information about a database column -
> this column should be shown as date editor, with these constraints, you
> should show the column in red, in "Arial Sans"?
> Such kind of stuff?

Yes, both:
a) on visual level (column widths, detailed formatting for individual cell
depending on values, at least something like this:
http://www.ics.com/support/docs/qt/qicstable/usermanual/index.php)

b) on app-logic level (constraints, assigning error/warning messages for
particular validation rules, ...)

Most of functionality is now available via "tabular" view :
http://koffice.org/developer/apidocs/kexi/html/classKexiTableView.html and
its derivatives.

>> Things like Query layout (for graphical relation schema) is now defined
>> by XML stored in as string value in a DB).
>
> What is a query layout?

Sorry, it was late I wrote this. Here you have it:

http://www.kexi-project.org/pics/0.1beta3/relation_beta3.png --I mean
positions and sizes of every "table" in realtion view, on the screen is
stored.

>> > The XMLGUI framework provides the DOM based access to nodes (non-action
>> > elements).
>> > The actual actions are not initialized with the content from their DOM
>> > nodes, but it is possible to do this in a
>> > custom XMLGUI based application. In the code which handles a node, you
>> > have access to the XMLGUI system
>> > and you can find an action instance by name.
>
>> BTW actions: Lucijan has today commited the first version of Kexi User
>> Actions framework which will be integrated with Scripting Module. Actions
>> are really just another schema, so it's stored as usually and XML is used
>> there a bit too.
>
> Are these KAction style actions, i.e. information about the graphical
> representations?
> Or is this something like e.g. Quanta actions, where I can extend the
> applic ation with my own functionality / scripts, where the
> scripts show up in theapplication GUI?

So-called "Final" mode is generated using schema/data dictionary saved within
Kexi project's database. It's not extension over working app, but A SECOND
MODE where Kexi has hidden all "design-related, developer-related" actions
and only actions/menus/toolbars defined by developer are visible. This all
inherits its functionality from KXMLGUI. Just, no scripts are required (bu
will be also available) to add given user-defined actions. All is accesible
via GUI.

(most of these "final mode" things are currently in early development stage)

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska