List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Article about OOo/KOffice/OASIS database
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2004-07-17 6:32:06

Sorry, I think I don't quite understand this ;)

> I am glad you said this. Indeed, Kexi is trying to offer both ways: 1)
forms
> autogenerated by a wizards or forms designed by users from scratch
> 2) forms that are other "form" of table/query VIEWS.

Do you mean that you have forms connected to a database view / table and
forms which are standalone?
Or do you mean that you have database forms (as in a set of input elements
which are graphically displayed) and
database tabular views?

> The latter way changes dynamically when db schema changes. I'd like to add
that Kexi has already
> quite rich db schema storage implemented (richer than db engines in
> general) and this will be improved (even up to table schema inheritance,
> etc.).

the rich db schema storage - is this something like a data dictionary, where
you can store representation information about a database column - this
column should be shown as date editor, with these constraints, you should
show the column in red, in "Arial Sans"?
Such kind of stuff?

> Things like Query layout (for graphical relation schema) is now defined by
> XML stored in as string value in a DB).

What is a query layout?

Can you provide some screenshots? ;)

> > The XMLGUI framework provides the DOM based access to nodes (non-action
> > elements).
> > The actual actions are not initialized with the content from their DOM
> > nodes, but it is possible to do this in a
> > custom XMLGUI based application. In the code which handles a node, you
> > have access to the XMLGUI system
> > and you can find an action instance by name.

> BTW actions: Lucijan has today commited the first version of Kexi User
> Actions framework which will be integrated with Scripting Module. Actions
> are really just another schema, so it's stored as usually and XML is used
> there a bit too.

Are these KAction style actions, i.e. information about the graphical
representations?
Or is this something like e.g. Quanta actions, where I can extend the applic
ation with my own functionality / scripts, where the
scripts show up in theapplication GUI?

Regards
Dirk