List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-05-08 12:50:55

On Thursday 06 May 2004 21:45, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> I was asked a question today from a user of kword that I could not answer.
>
> She saved a file as foo.txt from kword and could then not open it again.
> When she renamed it foo.kwd she could open it. She expected it to be
> converted to a text file by that naming. Is this intended to be that way?
>
> Erik

not sure if you got an answer so far... anyway it would have been a mail for
koffice@mail.kde.org. Since I have the feeling you found a bug I cc'd
koffice-devel@mail.kde.org.

Sadly I'm also not exactly sure about the answer. But my guess is that KOffice
doesn't/shouldn't do inconsisstent stuff. I mean, KOffice shouldn't care what
name my file gets and save it in the SELECTED format no matter what. I would
also say that KOffice should ensure that the filename ending should be
correct (according to the setting "automatically add ... extension" in the
save dialog). So if (for whatever reason) I name my file "a.txt" it should
become "a.txt.kwd" or a dialog should ask the user what todo (either save as
ascii text file or as kword file).

Now, I just tried it. If you choose "a" and save as kword file it actually
gets "a.kwd", if you choose "a.txt" it gets saved as "a.txt" which is wrong
(= a bug). This is actually with version > 1.3 and < 1.3.1 so I don't know if
the bug is fixed already.

Regards,
Raphael