List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster saving
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-04-14 19:02:04

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 15:44, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 15:36, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:33, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
(...)

> Well, we're still doing this on loading because it's convenient :)
> But on saving maybe we can avoid using a huge amount of memory again
> (and making the machine swap on every autosave...)

I had not thought about autosaving. :-(

But perhaps we could optimize the KZip step.

Form my bag of ideas:
- a sort of no-op zip that just stores the file uncompressed. (The data can
then be passed to the disk without further processing.)
- using the raw XML format of StarOffice/OASIS (However it means coding
binaries as base64 and also slightly other tags to introduce those base64
streams. It would also mean to have an import filter for this format
variant.)
- see if using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 with QTextStream brings any advantage

Have a nice day!