List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OASIS file format for Krita
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-03-24 9:24:05

>> > You can't have one without having the other, so what's the point?
>> > Naming?
>>
>> The point is what shipped with the suite.
> The KDE project does not decide what is shipped with what; for example the
> debian packagers ship each application separate; its easy to install kword
> without kpresenter if you want.
> So this is something you have to take up with the individual packagers, at
> best KDE can write a packager-guidelines file for koffice.

Perhaps the application could be shipped, but not shown in the component
chooser of KOffice.
So basically Krita would be a standalone application, just no KOffice
component (as in loadable module?)

>> It is perfectly OK to have
>> additional applications based on KOffice libraries.  But, Krita (and
>> probably Karbon14 as well) are becoming large artist's applications
>> which
>> are not what the average office suite user needs.  No complaints at all
>> about the existence of these applications.  My point is that the suite
>> needs to ship with a simpler graphics application that can do simple
>> stuff
>> for DTP and presentation slides.  That is: Artist != Office-Suite-User.
>> Office-Suite-Users do not need DSP (convolution) based water color
>> painting
>> simulation -- it is nice but not needed by this class of user.
>
> Ok; that might be a reasonable assumption; but I fail to see why we should
> dumb-down the office-suite because users won't use features; we just have
> to make sure that the simple things stay simple usability-wise. What
> concerns me more is that the simple things should be possible in the first
> place. With this I mean that we should not make the mistake that artsd
> made; create a really nice app that does lots of thins quite-ok, but fails
> to do the thing most users use it for really well.

Or have some more mix and match, ie. components for

- text editor - simple, advanced
- image editor - simple, advanced
- vector editor - simple, advanced?

Regards