List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OASIS file format for Krita
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-03-24 6:54:25

Thomas Zander wrote:

>>Perhaps more of KOffice base libs can be put into the core libs? So that
>>standalone applications can be built usind KOffice technology, without
>>actually be KOffice components?
>

> You can't have one without having the other, so what's the point? Naming?

The point is what shipped with the suite.  It is perfectly OK to have
additional applications based on KOffice libraries.  But, Krita (and
probably Karbon14 as well) are becoming large artist's applications which
are not what the average office suite user needs.  No complaints at all
about the existence of these applications.  My point is that the suite
needs to ship with a simpler graphics application that can do simple stuff
for DTP and presentation slides.  That is: Artist != Office-Suite-User.
Office-Suite-Users do not need DSP (convolution) based water color painting
simulation -- it is nice but not needed by this class of user.

Also, I would like to see an integrated SVG and Pixel artist application
that meets my needs.  I don't know if I speak for a minority of one or if
there are a lot of other people that can't draw freehand with a mouse or
have no idea why they should use a computer to draw freehand.  I continue
to use Xfig even though it is outdated because it has digital control and
editing of everything that you draw.  This feature should also be available
in the simple SVG/Pixel graphics application in the KOffice suite since it
would be reasonable to presume that a lot of Office-Suite-Users probably
can't draw freehand with a mouse either.

It would be preferable if these two classes of applications could share a
common file format and if this was OASIS (or a superset of it).

--
JRT