List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: developers documentation
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-02-10 14:04:56

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 13:58, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> Since there is also little developer documentation on KSpread (none?), I
> will (as I have hinted previously - see below) keep a diary of what I find
> (out) and so on and on while improving kspread filters - maybe a start to a
> KOffice cookbook. (sorry for this complicated sentence structure).
>
> Since I'm an KOffice (developer) newby help on this would be of course
> appreciated.
>
> first questions:
>
> a) what file format should I use for such a document - KWord native?
> DocBook? plain text?

It depends where you want it.

I think that HTML would be best so that it could be on koffice.org (To be
exact, not HTML but XHTML 1.0 with HTML-compatibility. As for the PHP code,
it can be added later anyway.)

However DocBook could be an interesting format too and as far as I know it can
be transformed to HTML too. However as far I know it is more difficult to
edit.

As for KWord 1.3 format, well, it will not be native anymore in KWord 1.4. So
it is not a good choice in my opinion.

> b) if docbook, is there an app that can be used to edit docbook files. OOo
> has support for docbook, but I think not sufficient. What about KWord? Any
> other app? Pure KWrite?

KWord is supposed to have a DocBook export filter. However it is still SGML
DocBook not XML DocBook and I would consider the filter as unmaintained.