List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord to OOWriter filter (also call for developers)
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-14 20:58:10

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 21:07, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> To start with I suggest someone who knows the area (David, Nicolas, ... ?)
> should write a short (around 2 or 3 pages) summary (concerning this file
> format move) of what we have, what should change and what the goal is, so
> that it is as easy (and fast) as possible for new developers to start
> working.

Here's the plan as I see it:

First phase
=========
Since Nicolas is working on the kword-1.3 -> OASIS importer,
I figure I should start with the loading of the OASIS format inside KWord
(and libkotext). This suits me well, because loading is easier than saving
(e.g. saving requires to generate the 'automatic styles' etc.)

Then we have a working kword again (it still saves in kword-1.3 format,
but the importer can load that :)
BTW the oasis format will have a different mimetype, of course, something
like application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.word[processor?]

At this point we might want to do the same in kpresenter, since it will share
most of the code (via libkotext)

Second phase
===========
The saving in OASIS format, and the OASIS->kword-1.3 filter (from the
current oowriter-import-filter).

Third phase
=========
Changing all the filters to be able to import/export the OASIS format.
The good thing is that thanks to 1) using a different mimetype name
and 2) Werner's filter-chaining mechanism, the current filters will still
work even before being converted.
For instance when importing HTML at the end of phase 1, the conversion
will be HTML -> KWord-1.3 -> OASIS :)
This is good, because it means KOffice filters can be ported incrementally,
and KOffice CVS HEAD will still mostly work, instead of being broken
for many months.

Of course kspread (and maybe other apps) should follow the same route,
but that's up to the respective developers, I'm not forcing anything on anyone :)

How to help? Well the very first step could be to rename load/save to
loadOld/saveOld everywhere in kword/libkotext/kpresenter so that
the new loading/saving code can be called load/save.
Then one could start by porting the DocumentInfo stuff to the OO format...